Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's Susan again.

I am writing to update all of you with the most recent news. Dan's scheduled bone marrow biopsy came back showing that there is still a significant amount of "blast" cells in the marrow. In other words, the chemo was not effective in treating his leukemia. I just spoke with the team of doctors here at Sloan and they will be turning to a "Plan B" round of chemotherapy, using a drug designed specifically to treating resistant ALL. Don't ask me what it's called or how to spell it since I have yet to get those details...it's possible it starts with "l". There will be 5 days of treatment followed by recovery (I don't know how long yet, but it will depend on a bunch of factors). By the way, there is at least a "Plan C" as well.

Dan has been feeling nothing less than terrible, but I know him well enough to know that at his core he still has hope. Just as it's difficult for me to watch him in pain, I know it's also difficult for those of you who are far away or feel a sense of helplessness. All I can say is that help comes in many forms. Reading this blog and staying informed helps; sending cards or messages helps; keeping us in your thoughts helps. I would like to thank all of you for this and more. You have enabled me to sit with Dan for entire days, to be his personal nurse/clown, and to do so without fear of eviction and while appropriately caffeinated!

I will be updating this blog periodically until Dan feels like doing it himself. In the meantime, please check this blog and encourage others to do so if they would like updates. It is designed to help both of us focus on his recovery and expend a little less energy keeping friends and family updated. It seems that every patient on the floor has a similar blog or website and they have all found it to be an invaluable resource. Also, don't panic, it's not like I'll be out of contact--just know I have a Blackberry so I'll be checking emails/text messages a lot.

Much love and appreciation,
Susan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Big big hugs to you both. Love, Kate

Kathryn said...

Susan - you are doing an awesome job! Lots of hugs and kisses to both of you. Love, Kathryn