Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Good news coming from "guardedly optimistic" people: Dan might be lucky enough to go home sometime this weekend or next week...(perhaps in time for his birthday)!

This latest round of chemotherapy worked some magic on those pesky "blast" or leukemia cells. Since we are fortunate enough to live a cab ride away from Sloan-Kettering, the doctors agree that 2 months is enough time in the hospital/jail and Dan should be able to safely receive whatever treatment, transfusion, etc. he needs outpatient. Then, yes, it's still on to the required bone marrow transplant. I will let him write more when he feels up to it, but this news was too good to keep to myself!

Thanks as always...
Susan

3 comments:

Tara said...

That is fabulous news! What a bright spot. Cautious optimism is good and healthy.

Unknown said...

Fabulous news! Thinking of you both often.

Unknown said...

Dan,
I heard about your condition through my uncle Bill Lough who is friends with some of your family members in Minnesota. The reason that my uncle called me is that I have recently been in the same unfortunate position as you, as I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February of 2007. I'm glad to hear you are finally getting out of the hospital. I know for me after 2 months in the hospital all you want to do is get a little breath of fresh air. Just know that once you get home, the recovery will be much quicker. I am convinced that there is something about your own couch that builds your immune system. Also, it sounded like you are going to need a bone marrow transplant, which can be a pretty daunting experience. If you have questions about it, feel free to give me a call or email. I just had my second transplant in July so I can give you all the tips I learned for a much more enjoyable recovery. Hang in there, and just know that you'll get through this. It won't be the most enjoyable time in your life, but in no time you'll be back to your old self.
Jim Lough
312-590-0087
loughjam@hotmail.com
jimlough.com