Tuesday, September 9, 2008

HLA (Bone Marrow) matching was not successful for my brother and sister, so I will be matching to an unrelated donor for my anticipated bone marrow transplant. Initial searches show multiple 10/10 donor matches out there, which is very encouraging--it's just a matter of coordinating the whole complicated process. The donor has to be healthy, available, still willing, etc., and I have to be ready to receive the transplant after successful treatments. There are also complications with insurance regarding the matching process, but I am confident that we will be able to address that. (Oddly, the very costly process of finding the donor is not typically covered, but the actual transplant is. There is grant money we have already applied for to help.)

For those out there who are feeling especially altruistic, as always you have the ability to get your blood tested and join the national donor registry. Do not bother trying to match to me--the chances are extremely remote and more trouble than it would be worth. However, I have been positively overwhelmed by the show of support from everyone willing to help save my life this way. What is probably easiest for everyone wanting to help in some way is to simply donate blood at their local blood bank. It is quick and easy (15 mins), and blood is always needed everywhere around the country. Donate platelets if you have the time (about an hour). As for me personally, send me your positive vibes. And send Susan Starbucks cards (we like Whole Foods, too)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was going to make some silly remark about a bacon of the month club, but I realize that I'm not quite as clever as I'd like to believe.
I have donated blood, though, and I'll be doing it regularly now, because of you. Anyway, I hope the good wishes I send you both every day does something. If there's anything you guys need, don't ever hesitate to ask. Thinking of you.
Lots of love,
Heather Walker

D said...

just thinking about you

x
Davi