Friday, February 6, 2009

Here are the basic plans for Dan's Memorial Service. Thank you so much to my good friends from Penn who have organized the place, time, and date so that you may make your travel plans.

The service will take place next Sunday, the 15th. St. Mary's Church at 3916 Locust Walk is reserved for the service to begin at 4:00 (it may end up being closer to 4:30). We also have the Carriage House at 3907 Spruce St. reserved from 5 until 8 where there will be food available. The Carriage House will be an opportunity for people to share stories, pictures, and memories of Dan.

As far as hotels and travel goes, I know that our friend William Shatner at Priceline has many deals to offer for those who need to fly, and my friend Carrie has found some deals at hotels.com. I will give you the email addresses of these 3 amazing women so you can organize, coordinate, and ask any questions you might have. If they don't know the answers I'm sure they can direct you to someone who does.

This is a very sad time for all of us but also an amazing opportunity to get together to honor Dan and help each other with our grief.

Here are some places she found on hotels.com:

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel $120/night
36th And Chestnut Sts
Philadelphia, PA, 19104
866-539-0036

Hilton Inn At Penn &150/night
3600 Sansom St
Philadelphia, PA, 19104
866-539-0036

Please email:

Carrie Rieger Brownlie: c.rieger.brownlie@gmail.com
Lisa Campbell: lscampbe@alumni.law.upenn.edu
Amanda Petry: petry.amanda@yahoo.com

2 comments:

D said...

dear susan

i am crying now in an internet cafe in paris

***

i happily recall the last time i saw dan: we were discussing single malt and siddhartha in my kitchen

i am glad to know that you were by his side when he passed

and i am full of love for you

and will be there in spirit on the 15th... i return to nyc late on the 16th

love and sadness and admiration
D

Sylvia M. said...

Dear Susan,
I mailed you a letter this past week, but because you, Dan, Chad, and their mom are so much a part of my thoughts and prayers this week and because I am also grieving, I decided to leave a comment, my first on any blog. I am Dan’s German teacher from JJ Pearce HS in Richardson, Texas and had the great pleasure of having Dan in my German classes for four years. I was extremely blessed to have had many wonderful, sweet students throughout my years in RISD, and Dan was definitely one of those very special ones! Dan was a great German student and had possibly the best German accent of any student I ever had. However, it was not his superior academic abilities that stole my heart—it was Dan as an individual, as a person who did that: with his kindness, his politeness, his respect, his seriousness, thoughtfulness, and maturity far beyond his age, his dry humor, his creativity, his eagerness to learn German, his integrity and moral clarity, and finally his loving spirit. I remember Dan well. He always participated with great enthusiasm in our German competitions and helped us win first place at State! To give you an idea of how talented Dan was in German, he placed in nine different German events at State in 1996 (including four first place awards) and in eight as a senior in 1997! I have many great memories from those days and pictures as well.
After reading the blogs from the past year, I am filled with sadness and grief, but also with awe and admiration for you, Susan, and for Dan, for your strength in battling that wretched illness and for your love and support of each other so apparent in those blogs. I won’t be able to be in Philadelphia for the memorial service, but I will be thinking of you, Dan, and your families and praying for your continued strength. May God bless and comfort all of us who are grieving.
In Christ,
Sylvia McElroy
(Frau McElroy)