Sunday, February 1, 2009

Many of you already know what happened yesterday and saw it coming in what I wrote, but Dan left us yesterday at around five minutes to 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

There's nothing that can really help me or anybody else from feeling intense devastation, pain, and sadness, but I will tell you how it happened and maybe you will smile a little through your tears.

Dan was supported by a breathing tube and different medications that were essentially keeping him artificially alive. It was a matter of time before his body gave out in spite of all of this support, but no one could say how long. We discussed with the doctors whether or not to keep him on these drugs or to start to remove them and let Dan die naturally...either way he would be comfortable, but in my mind and according to Dan's wishes, removing the support would be one last way for him to take back some control...to let him decide instead of medicine. I wanted to give him that, but as I sat there and they turned down only the blood pressure medication, I agonized over what to do next and thought I couldn't possibly let him go. It seemed like a split second later and without warning the doctor gave a surprised look at the medical monitor and said that Dan had just passed. These monitors have a lot of information on them and I saw the same "0" he did, but I was totally taken aback and couldn't believe he went just like that. The nurses and doctors all had said that people pick their time to go, but I didn't quite believe them until that moment.

I had somewhat of a "typical Susan" reaction. I laughed while I cried and then wondered how I could possibly be laughing. I said "thank you, Dan" over and over because HE decided, and it was clear he was ready and wanted to go on his terms. He amazed me yet again. I think I laughed because I felt a little relief and a profound sense of gratefulness to him for helping us all through that final moment. My mom, his mom, and I were all there, and I told him over and over before and after he was sedated how much everyone loved him and cared about him, and that it was ok to be tired because we know he gave it all he had.

If I could change anything, I would have taken this terrible illness away from Dan and thrown it back into the pits of hell where it belongs, but since I couldn't do that, the only other option was to let him go so this pain could end.

I'm sure many of you are wondering what kind of service we will be having for Dan, and I've just begun to work on that and have some ideas that I think will pay tribute to him, but as you can imagine, this is a tough new kind of day for me, and there are many things to do. Dan is going to be cremated, which gives us a window of time to plan. It is important to me that all of you who knew and loved Dan be able to come and participate in his memorial service, so I will keep you updated in the coming week.

Just as many of you have expressed a loss for words, I am also at a loss when it comes to the thanks I want to give you all. You are some amazing people and I hope to see you soon. Susan

16 comments:

K Dutt said...

Susan,
So very, very sorry and heartbroken for you. There are no words but I agree - it's fabulous he went his way and he never would have wanted you "left" with the decision - he loved you too much! Love you very much, Kathryn

alan said...

O Captain! My Captain!
O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up - for you the flag is flung - for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths - for you the shores
a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You've fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

Unknown said...

From happier days. . .read with Dan's booming voice in mind.


He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ring’d with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.


The Eagle
by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Unknown said...

Susan,

I just heard the news and can't even express to you how sorry Jen and I are. I guess we are happy that he is suffering no more but sad that you are left in this world without the man you fell in love with. I never had the opportunity to know Dan but to have you by his side speaks loads about him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and his family.

God Bless,

Tony and Jen

Jack Jodell said...

O my Jesus, save us from the fires of hell and lead all souls to heaven, especially that of Dan Fritz. Bless Susan, Liz, and all of Dan's friends and family, and give them strength in this hour of need. Amen.
-----------------------
In today's distance, the sun slowly crept.
Clouds silhouetted dawn.
Ice blue drizzle hung in the air;
a warm, true friend was gone.

Nature seemed fixed,
as upon a great canvas.
Birds: Silent in their trees,
while trumpets echoing throughout the heavens
brought us to our knees.

Below: Tears and flowers.
Above: The outstretched hands of Dan's friend and Lord, Jesus -
He welcomes Dan in His grasp.

Tara said...

Our hearts hurt for you and all of Dan's family and friends.

Dan is everywhere now, seeing everything through your eyes Susan. He is all around you and within you always.

Remember.....http://www.vimeo.com/2691463

Mike and Kelli said...

Susan-I am so sorry for your loss. I just came across this blog through Jill's blog a few days ago and have been thinking about you and Dan ever since. Know that you are in my prayers in these coming days. I'm so glad your mom is there with you. Your strength is amazing.
Love, Kelli Smith (Fairhurst)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynda said...

"And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved,
To feel myself beloved
on the earth."

~~ Raymond Carver

Anne Johnson said...

Susan and family,

I always have fond memories of Dan on Mayer Hall at Penn when I was the G.A. I am so sorry -- my heart aches for you.

Anne Johnson

Anonymous said...

I am truely sorry to hear about this. Dan was such a light in the office, always willing to take time to chat or discuss some esoteric topic. I will miss him.

Dave

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Susan, Not sure you remember me either, but it's Naresh -- a GA at Stouffer who kept in touch with Dan intermittently also.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Dan is a good man and the world is a worse place without him.

Please take some comfort in knowing he will be remembered for great lengths by friends near and far for being a well-rounded, fun-loving, decent man.

Again, sorry.

Jen said...

Susan,

My heart is heavy after just having received your e-mail. I am so sorry that I didn't have an opportunity to meet you both at a better time or place, but my life is much richer having met you on the 12th floor at Sloan. You and Dan were an inspiration to my mom and myself as we fought for strength doing our 'laps' each day, when we were looking for a reason to smile, you were both right around the corner (literally!). I know no words can help with your pain, but please know that you did EVERYTHING possible to help him and that he made his own decisions - right up to the very end. As stubborn as my mom was, she wasn't even that strong.
May the many wonderful memories you have of Dan and your time together help to comfort you during this incredibly difficult time. This world is a better place because of Dan.
Jen Gerace

spinhop said...

Dan was one of the most beautiful persons I've known in this world. He is missed and will always be fondly remembered for the fun spirit, light and kindness that emanated from him.

--A said...

Susan, I was surprised and so dismayed to learn of Dan's passing. While I've met you just the once, and Dan not at all, I just assumed that you would both pull through -- seemingly by sheer force of will. Please know Dan, or anybody else for that matter, couldn't have wished for a better caretaker, caregiver and partner than you.

--Ajit