Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I suffered a major setback in my treatments during my most recent round (last week). According to several tests and scans, such as a nuclear medicine scan called a Gallium scan, the cancer shows a recurrence in my bones, meaning that there is now a strain resistant to my current treatment plan. That means that my treatment plan doesn't work anymore, and I will need to consult with my oncologist and several other doctors at Sloan-Kettering (and anywhere else) to determine an alternative approach. I will probably require a bone marrow transplant--details to follow when I know more. While this is bad news, there are still options and other kinds of chemo that could do the trick. This is surprising to me after all of the success up to this point, but considering the size of my tumor when treatment started, it's actually not all that unusual to have difficulty wiping out all of the cancer cells. So, for now we're back to an uncertain place, but it will make for a more interesting made-for-tv movie when all is said and done.

1 comment:

Donna Ludwinski said...

I am so sorry to hear this Dan--I am praying for you--I just read this today

http://www.oncologystat.com/home/what_patients_are_reading/Patients_With_NHL_Respond_to_Experimental_Antibody_Drug.html

Patients With NHL Respond to Experimental Antibody Drug
As Reported by Reuters. 2008 Aug 14

Patients with previously incurable non-Hodgkin's lymphoma have new hope that an experimental drug might help their body launch its own attack against the cancer. All 7 patients in a study who were given the highest dose of blinatumomab achieved a complete or partial response. Scientists have been looking for a way to boost T-cell activity against cancer cells. Blinatumomab binds T cells to cancer cells, enabling them to destroy the tumor more effectively. It does not stimulate unregulated T-cell activity, as other drugs have done, causing serious toxic effects. The patients in the study achieved their response without receiving any other chemotherapy. Any adverse effects that occurred became evident within the first week of therapy and usually resolved. A clinical trial to be conducted next year would bring the drug closer to regulatory approval. The drug is also being studied in acute lymphocytic leukemia. The research results were published in the August 15 issue of the journal Science.