Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My news changes quite a bit these days, but the basics are this: I will be in the hospital for all of September, probably most of October too, getting treatment to prepare for a bone marrow transplant. My brother and sister have been tested, but I am still waiting to see if they are a match. Each has a 25% chance of matching, and the match has entirely to do with white cell matching (as opposed to red cell, like AB+). If they do not match, I will be receiving bone marrow from an unrelated donor pool.

I will be receiving a very heavy dose of chemo and likely doses of radiation (12) to prepare for the transplant. Then I recover in the hospital and at home, followed by the transplant, which will take many weeks in the hospital (mainly due to immune system recovery time).

All treatment is now through Sloan-Kettering, one of the best cancer centers in the country. I have a good room and lots of space compared to NYU, so that's the good news. That's all for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Dan,
I am friends with your wife. I am a recent Hodgkin's survivor. I made up a mantra I say to myself when I spend time focusing on my body's health: All My Cells Will Behave Themselves.

Also, if you want to laugh very hard and don't mind some serious bathroom humor, here is a link to a very funny video which I guarantee will uplift your spirits.

Sincerely,

Catherine T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMuVix0oCo