Thursday, January 29, 2009

Today brought a turn of events in the wrong direction--one which I knew was a possibility, but I and the entire 12th floor of Sloan-Kettering hoped we could avoid.

The Intensive Care Unit doctors came today since the persistent pseudomonis infection that's been causing most of Dan's recent problems came back and is not responding very well to antibiotics. His heart rate is still very high and his fevers are too persistent to leave alone, so they decided it would be best to take him to the Intensive Care Unit. His blood pressure has also been dropping to dangerously low levels so they need to be able to control that with medications. The ICU unit is so much more able to deal with these serious complications, but it's a last resort because it means he's gotten significantly sicker.

I am in the large waiting area while they install some new "lines" so they can better monitor and control his blood pressure and deliver the medications, take blood, etc. without poking him all of the time. They are trying every weapon in their arsenal and are very creative people. I trust that they are offering Dan the best chance he could have on the planet earth right now, but we'll have to see if this infection has a different idea. He will also be getting a white blood cell injection tomorrow, something they don't often do but thought of as another tool to stimulate his body's own fight. The ICU doctor said this was sort of a "Hail Mary pass", and although I'm not Catholic, I would convert if it worked.

The next couple of days will be critical in determining if there's a way to fight this infection. Since I know some of you worry about me, I will tell you that my mom is coming to stay with me. She's a huge support and source of comfort to me so I'm glad she'll be here.

They don't allow people to stay overnight so I will going home to change my clothes and take a needed shower. I'm sure they'll appreciate that in the ICU.

Dan is still fighting really hard and so am I. The transplant is still scheduled and is still the ultimate goal, so keep visions of that in your thoughts tonight.

4 comments:

Kathy Swift Thompson said...

Hi Susan and Dan,
Lorraine's little sister here..... you and Dan are in my heart and my thoughts tonight. Stay strong and may tomorrow bring you both joy and peace.
Kathy

Unknown said...

Hi Dan and Susan,

I'm sending healing thoughts your way.

Xoxo,
Kate

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you both.

Tara said...

Praying to everyone listening, and as always holding your hands.
Tara, Eric, & Aaron